Are you interested in:
● improving health and wellbeing through physical activity, including volunteering?
● opportunities to socialise, make friends and be part of a welcoming, supportive community?
● activities that are free, outdoors and accessible to all?
If so, parkrun could be the answer.
● Free, weekly 5k events for all ages from 4+, every Saturday morning, in areas of open space
● 2k junior parkruns for 4-14 year olds and their families on Sunday mornings
● Over 750 locations in UK
● Organised by local volunteer teams
● Not races: walk, run, jog, volunteer or spectate
● Taking part is easy: register once on the parkrun website, print off your personal barcode and head down to your local event
● parkrun is open to all, including those who are inactive or have health conditions or disabilities
Whether people want to improve their fitness, make new friends, cope with health problems, learn new skills or simply be outside with others, parkrun has a positive impact on health and wellbeing and changes lives.
parkrun UK has launched a new ‘parkun practice’ initiative with the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP). Under this initiative, GP practices across the UK are encouraged to develop close links with their local parkrun to become ‘parkrun practices’.
Involvement in this initiative will help practices:
● Improve the health and wellbeing of practice staff
● Improve the health and wellbeing of patients, reducing the need for lifelong medication
● Raise awareness amongst the parkrun community of services that practices provide
● Help develop a local community and environment centred around wellness generation
● Support the UK-wide movement to scale up social prescribing activities